Thursday, November 17, 2011

Simple Lobster Risotto

I saw this recipe in the January 2011 Cooking Light magazine and had to save it.  My son and I love lobster and who doesn't love risotto?  A local food store Stew Leonard's had a sale on Lobster tails so I figured why not try it out.  I decided to take on this recipe last Sunday during the Giant's game. After boiling the lobster tails in vegetable broth (I don't eat chicken so I usually use vegetable stock in recipes as an alternative) for 4 minutes I removed the meat and chopped up the shells.  I had to take my two kids to CCD and figured I could let the shells simmer in the broth while I was gone.  Mistake! My broth reduced down too quickly and the shells were burnt.  I put the meat in the fridge and decided to try again the next day.  Instead of getting more lobster tails I bought a small lobster and steamed it and then let the chopped shells to simmer in the broth and followed the recipe to the end.  It was delish!  I brought the risotto to my book club meeting this past Wednesday.  We were discussing the novel "Maine" by J. Courtney Sullivan (great read by the way) and figured the lobster risotto would be a nice tribute to the great state of Maine ;-).  It was easy to reheat with some white wine and pasta water from a pot of pasta that my friend Sara was cooking to go with her yummy chili.  The starchy water brought the consistency back to the risotto. When I cook this again I plan to use full lobsters (didn't care for the meat that came from the frozen tails) and plan to top it with parmigiana cheese.  Hope you enjoy!











Simple Lobster Risotto

Simmering the shells infuses the broth with lobster flavor.


Ingredients

  • 4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • (5-ounce) American lobster tails
  • 3 tablespoons butter, divided 
  • 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
  • 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed 

Preparation

  • Bring broth and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add lobster; cover and cook for 4 minutes. Remove lobster from pan; cool for 5 minutes. Remove meat from cooked lobster tails, reserving shells. Chop meat. Place shells in a large zip-top plastic bag. Coarsely crush shells using a meat mallet or heavy skillet. Return crushed shells to the broth mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Strain shell mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving broth; discard solids. Return broth mixture to saucepan; keep warm over low heat. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth mixture, and cook for 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Reserve 2 tablespoons broth mixture. Add the remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 22 minutes total). Remove from heat, and stir in lobster, the reserved 2 tablespoons broth mixture, 2 tablespoons butter, and green peas.
  • Sustainable Choice: The American lobster population is well managed in Canada and the U.S.


http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/simple-lobster-risotto-50400000109640/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs